It’s worth remembering that getting out of your comfort zone doesn’t have to be a radical act. Maybe you challenge yourself to speak up in a meeting that you normally find intimidating or invite a new neighbor to go on a walk. Then you can gradually push yourself to take on bigger (strategic) risks.
Here are five reasons it’s good to try to get out of your comfort zone:
1. It develops your inner strength We know that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Yet that is exactly what some people do in their everyday lives, making themselves feel stuck and unhappy. Implementing something new that makes us uncomfortable (like picking up a new hobby or making a new friend) will help us build our inner strength. Even if we fail—which often happens—we will have an experience that we can draw upon in the future. Put together, these experiences will act as building blocks that allow us to lead a more meaningful life.
2. It builds your confidence Confidence is not something we are born with. It’s a skill we can build by setting goals, achieving those goals, and setting more goals to pursue. In order to develop confidence, we need to face our fears and take a risk. We all know the exhilarating feeling that comes with achieving something that we were not even sure we could do before. The more goals we set and achieve, the further our confidence will soar.
3. It makes us more adaptable to change
The more time we stay inside of our comfort zones, the scarier new territory will appear to us. But the world is changing rapidly, and those who fear change risk getting left behind. For people who are already pushing their comfort zone, change will not appear as frightening. Instead, they’ll welcome a new project at work or learning a new language as a challenge that can open up possibilities for growth that were not there before.
4. It makes us more creative There is nothing worse for our creativity than never straying from the path of what is tried and true. The longer we are unwilling to entertain new thoughts, ideas, and ways of going deeper, the more we slip into a rut. By trying something new, we stir up creative juices that will awaken our imagination.
5. You won’t otherwise know what could have been Those who never venture far will never know what might have been if they had tried to do things beyond what they initially felt they could manage. All successful people have taken risks, failed, picked themselves up, and risked again until they figured it out. Going outside of their comfort zones becomes a lifestyle for many successful people.
While taking the safe route is always tempting, it means paying a high price of regret down the road. In interviews with people who were at the end of their life, they often cite regrets about what they always wanted to do, but didn’t. I have never heard of someone saying on their deathbed that they were comforted by the fact that they took the safe way out and didn’t take any risks. If life is about preparing for our death, as some people claim, avoiding regret is perhaps the most compelling reason that we need to move out of our comfort zone. . . Join Our FB Community: www.facebook.com/groups/StudentsOfSelfEmpowerment Get Your FREE Copy Of My New Book: www.SuccessSecrets.net For Our Courses, Coaching, & Self Empowerment Products: www.BrentWebb.info/merch Be sure to subscribe to our Official Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/TaylorWebbTelevision Brent's IG: www.instagram.com/BrentWebbOfficial "At all times and under all circumstances, we have the power to transform the quality of our lives.....don't forget it.”